Wild Fig Jam, from Chef Ouita Michel
A recipe from Hot Water Cornbread: Kentucky Food Radio
Note: Ouita says, "Wild figs are available in Kentucky, but not easy to find. You can buy good dried figs that will work well."
- 2 cups dried wild figs
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan, soak figs in orange juice for 30 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Store in glass containers in the refrigerator for up to a month—if any is left to store!