OUITA'S QUICKLY COOKED BUT ELEGANT BREAST OF CHICKEN
- 4 boneless, skinless breast of chicken- about 6 ounces each
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour or 1/4 cup corn starch or potato starch for a Gluten free alternative
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock- or home made stock or 1 cup white wine-- or even red wine for a red wine sauce
- 2-3 Tbsp. minced parsley or a mix of whatever green herbs you've got- dill and tarragon are two of my favorites
- zest of one lemon
- juice of one lemon
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil or blended olive oil
- Salt to taste- if using canned chicken broth, even the low sodium has enough sodium for the dish
- Lightly pound the thick end of the breast of chicken or even butterfly the breast open carefully. The point is to get the piece of meat of an even width.
- Dust in the flour or starch of your choice-- just need a very light coating. I lay the starch out on a plate and pat each breast on both sides, then remove excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan, when the oil begins to move a bit and shimmer, add the chicken, cook about 3 minutes on one side, flip the chicken, add the stock or white wine, and a lid. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add a bit more liquid if need be, swirl the pan. the starches should have thickened the pan juices. If the sauce feels thin, just let it simmer a minute without the lid. You CAN add butter if you'd like.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, add the herbs. Check the chicken for doneness-- it should be firm, white, you can take a peek if you're worried. Serve with rice, pasta, cous cous,....
Optional: add capers for lemon caper chicken- add orange instead of lemon, use apple cider instead of stock.... the options are endless.