What's Stirring November 4, 2014
Lots. Lots and lots and lots. That's what's stirring!
Today, Monday, November 3, at 9:00 AM, Lexington's two-month 2014 Good Giving philanthropic extravaganza begins. Look for pioneers in our regional food system like Seedleaf, FoodChain, and Glean KY/Faith Feeds among the 155 participating organizations, and support them so they can continue supporting us. The Good Giving Guide Challenge is a partnership of Blue Grass Community Foundation and Smiley Pete Publishing.
Over the weekend, that same Smiley Pete Publishing released the November editions of Chevy Chaser and Southsider magazines. Enjoy A Family Affair: Inside the Home Kitchens of Several Local Chefs, another collaboration I happily got to do with photographer Sarah Jane Sanders.
Tuesday, November 4—does that ring any bells? Most people think of it as "The Day the Ads Stop," aka Election Day, and it's a big day at our house, to say the least. We'll be celebrating if voters agree with the recommendations in the Lexington Herald-Leader's endorsements.
And there's another reason to be happy on November 4: it's release day for Classic Kentucky Meals. The book should be where you need it to be, in bookstores, ready for you! If not, ask for it, and if that doesn't work, it's available online, including a Kindle version.
If you are in central Kentucky, or if you would like to come visit, a fair flurry of book events is about to begin. Most will include plenty of copies of Classic Kentucky Meals, and sometimes tastes (or whole meals) cooked from the book:
- November 5, 3 PM – 4 PM: WRFL 88.1: Culinary Evangelist, a radio show with Master Chef contestant Dan Wu, and with Sarah Jane Sanders, photographer
- November 8, 3 PM – 5 PM: Book Signing, with tastes, at Barnes & Noble, Hamburg Pavilion, 1932 Pavilion Way, Lexington, Kentucky
- November 15, 9 AM – 4 PM: Kentucky Book Fair, Frankfort Convention Center, 405 Mero Street, Frankfort, Kentucky
- November 20, 8 AM: WRFL 88.1, Trivial Thursdays, a radio show with host Mick Jeffries
- November 21, 6 PM: Enjoy a Classic Kentucky Meal at Holly Hill Inn, complete with your own signed copy of the new book! 426 N. Winter Street, Midway, Kentucky. Event information here.
- November 23, 2 PM: Book Signing, with tastes, at Morris Book Shop, 882 E. High St, Lexington, KY; 859.276.0494. Expect photographer Sarah Jane Sanders and Chef Ouita Michel to be present, among many others.
- December 5, 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM: First Friday sustainability breakfast, speaker: "Kentucky Food Stories." Fayette County Extension Office, 1140 Red Mile PL, Lexington, KY. This is not a book event, but the talk will touch on the book's main themes (since that's what fills the head of the speaker...)
- December 9, 7:00 PM, Joseph Beth Booksellers, 161 Lexington Green Circle, Lexington, KY: Book talk and book signing -- possibly with some other exciting Kentucky food writers. Stay tuned!
- March 6-8, Lexington Convention Center: Kentucky Crafted: The Market, with Country Rock Sorghum
The calendar of Classic Kentucky Meals book events is on Savoring Kentucky's main website at http://www.savoringkentucky.com/calendar/.