What's Stirring March 7, 2014
- This weekend, we get our reward for enduring the last many weeks of daunting cold. Among the reasons to get out: Kentucky Crafted, Organic Association of Kentucky, Blue Grass Trust Antiques and Garden Show, and Faith Feeds Heirloom Seed Sale (plus UK Opera's Don Giovanni in the evenings, to heat thing up, and Gateway Regional Arts Center's opening of a show of international mosaics, Pattern XIV.) (Hat tip NT.)
- Kentucky sorghum producer and sorghum seed grower Danny Townsend has a new destination for his award-winning sweet sorghum syrup: Locally distilled rum.
- Wendell Berry offers compelling views about agriculture, community, and family in a recent interview in Yale Environment 360. (Hat tip GM.)
- I didn't see any Kentucky eateries in the new, first ever Yelp ranking of top 100 restaurants, but I like the notion of "people's critics" having something to say about great places to eat.
- Umami isn't just a Kentucky taste, though much of our great food falls in this taste category, and it is my personal favorite. Good news: chefs are working to hone this flavor and bring us more of it.