Oh Cocoa—You Warm Up Our Winters. Especially Februaries.
Even though I'll take a lemon or caramel or sorghum dessert over chocolate any day, cocoa and cacao hold a lot of power in cold weather. I wrote about chocolate quite recently, inspired by the first polar vortex. Now, sadly, I've been forced to learn that vortex has a plural. During the second of the vortices, for people vigorous enough to handle it, I made the extraordinary, buttery hot cocoa included at the very end of PJ Hamel's chocolate primer for King Arthur Flour. I plan to repeat that drink once a year from now on, no matter the number on the thermometer, because I want to salute its perfection. I cannot imagine hot cocoa can ever be better. An upcoming event at Good Foods Market & Café may prove me wrong, though.
On Friday, February 7, from 5 - 7 PM, Good Foods will offer free samples of at least 14 forms of chocolate, including some sweet, some savory, and some wearable chocolate-inflected body products. Here's the list:
- Chocolate dipped Kentucky Proud bacon
- Chocolate fountain dipped fruit and gluten-free pretzels
- Goat cheese & fig truffle with pecans
- Cashew butter & fig truffle with pecans (vegan)
- Chicken molé with red rice
- Potatoes with molé sauce over rice (vegan)
- Organic vanilla ice cream served with local bourbon chocolatier sauce
- House-made wheat-free chocolate mousse with whipped cream
- House-made banana chocolate chip muffins made with Fair Trade bananas and chocolate (vegan)
- Organic, Fair Trade hot chocolate
- Organic, Fair Trade coffee
- Dark chocolate almond milk
- Local and all natural chocolate bar soap
- Chocolate ganache body butter
You're ready, right? Enough with the chocolate restraint you may have instated on January 1. Chocolate boasts at least some health benefits, and it may bring you joy, especially in 14 different forms. And slathering chocolate ganache body butter on vortex-parched skin sounds good for the soul.
Photo Credit: robynmac. Thank you!