I had forgotten the juicy/salty/smoky/crunchy greatness of a BLT. Saturday's lunch reminded me.
The heart of it is all Kentucky:
- Lettuces from the Campsie garden
- Tomato from Elam Stoltzfus's certified organic Flat Creek Farm in Bath County
- Bacon from Hood's Heritage Hogs in Robertson County
- Gluten-free bread from Good Foods Coop
- Homemade mayonnaise. I learned to make it in my blender in five minutes, and strongly encourage you to make it, too. Use eggs from people (and hens) you know, and you'll have no safety worries. Recently I've been trying J. Kenji López-Alt's two minute immersion blender mayo from Serious Eats. It worked perfectly for me the first time I tried it, but I have had trouble since then. This time I had to follow a trouble-shooting tip: let it settle and separate completely, then blend again. It worked!
Summer—you taste so fine! And tomatoes—you deserve your own symphony.
Lexington Farmers Market—you helped make this wondrous sandwich possible. Thank you!