"I believe in mirepoix . . . You sexy carrots . . ."
- Wildcat Mountain Cheese in East Bernstadt, a historic cheese-making community, now offers a superior cheddar, aged one year.
- Proud Processing & Distribution launched recently in Elizabethtown with this mission: "...to provide to an outlet for Kentucky farmers for the fresh fruits and vegetables that they produce."
- Weisenberger Mill may be venerable, but the biscuit makers who competed in the Mill-sponsored, people's choice Biscuit Alley competition introduced some fresh biscuit inventions: how about Brasabana's "Coconut Biscuit with Guava Butter, Pineapple Habañero Marmalade, and Passion Fruit Jam?" Who won? See all winners here.
- Relish some Petite Pickled Brussels Sprouts? I did. And the home grown, "seed to jar" handmade Red Raspberry Jam from Ohio-based Ann's Raspberry Farm.
- The David School's ambitious Inch By Inch initiative will serve as a lighthouse for other schools that want to root their core curriculum in gardening. Bonuses include school lunch goodness, job training and life skills. Plus hot sauce!
- The Bluegrass Box may help you cross off every name on your family and workplace holiday gift list. "The Bluegrass Box is a subscription box company that sends hand-curated boxes featuring small-batch, artisan items from local Kentucky makers." Subscriptions are available for one, three, and six months. The products in this month's box looked like the real Kentucky (Proud) deal.
- Carla Hall. Wow. Watch Savoring Kentucky's 90-second show video below to see her sing and dance the mirepoix song. Along with other scenes and snaps from the 2015 KPIFS.