Loris Points's Champion Rhubarb-apple Pie with Never Fail Pastry
Note: this is a draft version; expect updates shortly.
Loris Points, a legendary, retired Lafayette High School teacher and civic activist, entered the Great American Pie Contest in Lexington, Kentucky, on July 2, 2016. On the first try, she walked away with the championship in the Made From Scratch category, besting 42 other homemade pies. We are thrilled that Loris shared her recipe, in her own writing.
Pastry - Never Fail
- 1 1/4 cups Crisco (golden)
- 3 cups flour
- 5 Tablespoons water
- 1 egg, beaten well
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rub a glass pie pan with cooking oil.
- Cut Crisco into flour. Mix in small pieces.
- Mix in water, mixed with egg, salt and vinegar.
- Roll 2 crusts.
- Do lattice top or full top; be sure to seal (water patted around edge) with fingers.
Ingredients and Steps
- 5 large Golden Delicious apples, sliced thin
- 2 cups rhubarb (slice rhubarb stalks in 1/2; cut 2 cups rhubarb)
- Mix with 4 Tablespoons flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar.
- Mound in crust higher in top.
- If full crust, make slits in crust. Pour 2 Tablespoons water in hole in center.
- Sprinkle with sugar or raw sugar.