A carrot pudding with dates & currants
For 6-8 servings:
3 lbs. of carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
1 tsp salt
2 ounces or ½ stick of butter
½ cup dry white wine – Riesling is great
3 Tbsp. Dried currants – or raisins
2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
1/4 tsp. Ground cinnamon – or to taste
¼ cupDates, pitted and cut into small pieces
1. Cover the carrots with cold water- add salt and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender.
2. Combine the wine, currants and dates together and let sit together to soften.
3. Drain and mash carrots coarsely.
4. Add the butter, wine and dried fruit, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and return to the pot.
5. Simmer over low fire until heated through and serve. This can be made ahead and then baked in a casserole before serving.